Autumn is here! Make the season even more enjoyable with these 5 tips for Autumn pool maintenance that will keep your pool clean and ready for the summer spring.
- Skim for leaves and debris – Regularly skimming your pool for leaves and debris is especially important in autumn. While it’s beautiful to see the orange and yellow foliage, it can often find its way into your swimming pool and can lead to a green pool if not skimmed/removed in a timely manner. A pool with a build-up of leaves attracts algae growth and can stain the bottom and sides of your pool. Be sure to skim your pool and clean your weir baskets regularly to keep it pristine.
- Protect the goods by covering your pool – Keeping your pool covered while not in use can save you lots of cleaning time and effort. It also helps prevent water evaporation and protects your pool from environmental exposures that can adversely react with the chlorine. The benefits of pool covers extend beyond just maintenance and include safety as well.
- Clean your pool filter – Your filtration system will have more to handle with the falling temperatures and added debris, so be sure to keep it clean and working optimally. Sand filters need backwashing, while cartridge filters should be replaced or cleaned.
- Maintain good chemistry – As a swimming pool owner it is so important to be aware that a swimming pool requires regular maintenance as a clear sparkling pool does not necessarily mean that all is well. Algae does not grow in very cold water, although bacteria continues to multiply. As a result, as temperatures increase toward Spring, algae will quickly flourish and turn your pool green. This winter, be sure to regularly check your pH and chlorine levels. Thus, algae and bacteria will be kept under control.
Remember, it is more cost effective to monitor your pool, than to treat a problem that arises due to a lack of attention.
- Get deep down under water Get to the bottom of things and vacuum your pool thoroughly to pick up the additional debris that has fallen from the surface. Skip the manual labour by using an automatic pool cleaner to get the job done easily and thoroughly.
While this season involves a few more maintenance steps to reach pool perfection, the payoff is worth it. Follow these steps, turn on the pool heat pump and if you’re in a warmer region, enjoy having an extended pool season!